Current Protocol Overview:
- Wearing a mask is mandatory.
Masks are available on-site for those who do not have their own, in both child and adult sizes.
- Entry into the Literacy Alberni office will be preceded by health questioning.
- Entry into the Literacy Alberni office will be by appointment or schedule only.
- Entry and exit to the Literacy Alberni office must be made with minimum contact and contamination of the front entrance doors and door handles.
- It is expected that all visitors to our site will respect the boundaries of marked restricted areas.
- The LAS office has an occupancy limit of 34 people, with specific occupancy limits for individual rooms and classrooms.
- Internal movement by anyone who is not a LAS staff member must be limited, controlled, and monitored.
- Separate bathrooms are used for LAS staff, Visitors, Guests, Clients, Students, and Tutors.
Click here to view the complete COVID 19 Health Safety Policies and Procedures document.
Latest Update: October 1st, 2021
A message to all our valued Volunteers, Learners, Parents, and Clients:
With the news this week that Covid-19 numbers are again rising in the community, I wanted to touch base with everyone to reiterate the policies that keep you and our staff safe.
- There will be reminders for you to have your mask on before you enter our site and keep it on in all areas during your stay. If you require a mask for your visit, please let staff know and wait outside the door for a staff member to bring you one. Parents, please help younger students with this step.
- While on site, please respect the personal workspace of staff and keep physically distant unless invited to proceed.
- Some Tutors and Learners who may have been comfortable enough to temporarily remove their masks during tutoring sessions to make language instruction easier will no longer be permitted to do so until further notice.
Learners or parents of learners that are scheduled to attend sessions on site are reminded to treat all symptoms of cold, flu, or respiratory illness as a reason to cancel your appointment.
All persons with reason to enter the Literacy Alberni site are reminded that they are required to self- isolate for 10 days if they are symptomatic or have been in direct contact with confirmed outbreaks. Isolation can end before 10 days if symptoms resolve or upon receiving a negative Covid-19 test.
I would like to thank you in your continued efforts to ensure that our staff, learners, and volunteers stay safe during the ongoing pandemic.
If you have questions or concerns that you wish me to address, please be in touch with our office at 250-723-7323, or with me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you again – be well.
Acting Executive Director,
Director of Projects and Programs
January 4th, 2021
Literacy Alberni and its programs will re-open as follows:
- Klitsa Tutoring – January 4th
- On-site Adult Tutoring – January 4th
- English Language Virtual Classes – January 19th
November 30 2020
To The Alberni Community,
As a response to our community’s growing list of COVID-19 exposures, we will be closing our office to the public for the 14 work-days prior to our regularly scheduled Winter Break (Starting December 19th, 2020, and ending January 3rd, 2021.) Please know that there are NO known exposures linked to our facility, staff, or clients at this time – we are just doing all we can to ensure everyone in our community is as safe as possible this Holiday season.
During the period of December 1-18th, we will be available by phone and email from 10:00am to 4:00pm. However, we will not be able to facilitate any intakes, in-person sessions, nor have any visitors to our offices. As an essential service provider for Immigration Refugee, and Citizenship Canada, we will be available to meet clients for emergency/urgent situations, but these meetings will take place off-site and be arranged by a staff with clients directly, upon request.
During the Winter Closure period of December 19th – January 3rd, staff will periodically be checking emails and our office phone line voicemails, and available to meet with clients for emergency/urgent needs upon request, within our abilities.
Our office is set to reopen to limited, scheduled visitors on January 4th, 2021, pending review of the Covid-19 numbers in the community.
We wish you all a safe Winter Break, and look forward to working with you to achieve your learning goals again in 2021.
Stay safe, wear a mask.
The Board of Directors,
Literacy Alberni Society
October 5 2020
Due to the confirmed COVID-19 case at ADSS, until October 19th, entry to our site will be denied to those persons having direct contact with ADSS during the period beginning September 14th to October 5.
- ADSS staff and students
- Parents, siblings, partners, and all household members of of ADSS staff and students
- Anyone involved in sports and other extracurricular activities at ADSS
This restriction will be reviewed upon receiving updated and relevant information from health authorities.
If you have any questions, please contact us.
July 27 2020
All entry to the Literacy Alberni office is by appointment only. For more information, please see our COVID-19 Office Policies & Procedures document prior to attending any session.
We are still conducting classes and ELL tutoring online.
We are still not accepting any book donations at this time. Instead, books can be directly deposited into any of our Little Libraries. Please check our Little Libraries page for locations and more information. Thank you for your understanding.
While this is a difficult and uncertain time, we remain here to support you until this situation is resolved. Please feel free to contact us for questions, assistance, or a friendly check-in chat.
Volunteer with Us